Mrs. Elfrieda Steward Tamba is the Commissioner General of Liberia Revenue Authority
Results-driven, multi-tasking, visionary Senior Executive with outstanding track record delivering results, strengthening accountability, prudential governance, fiscal transparency, and organizational integrity for large institutions. Proven success in developing strategies and initiatives that drive sustainable, profitable, and scalable growth across entire enterprise. An accomplished effective leader skilled in bringing dynamism in the workplace, leading by example and also leading management teams and staff to meet and exceed expectations.
CORE COMPETENCIES INCLUDE:
Organizational Change Management – Institutional Growth & Development – Business Process Re-engineering, Policy & Procedure Development – Budgeting & Forecasting – Governance – Risk Management – Strategic Management – Treasury & Resource Management – Project Management – Team Building & Leadership -Tax and Customs Administration – Prudential Governance – Financial Management – Administrative Management
Liberia Revenue Authority (LRA) Formation Office: Monrovia, Liberia March 2011–Present
National Coordinator of LRA Establishment and Designated Head of LRA Formation Office. Appointed by The President of Liberia to coordinate and lead the establishment of Liberia Revenue Authority,
- Led initiative to draft legislative act to legally establish Liberia Revenue Authority; The Act has successfully passed.
- Prepared LRA for professional peer review by directing preparation of key technical documents, implementation strategy, and donor management coordination.
- Coordinated plans to transition Department of Revenue staff, assets, and systems to LRA.
Liberia Ministry of Finance Monrovia, Liberia August 2006–March 2011
Deputy Minister of Revenue:
Administered all facets of the Department of Revenue encompassing taxation, customs, policy formulation, and national revenue forecasting. Collected government revenues by enforcing country’s revenue code. Led management team of about 10 direct reports in organization of 1,200 total personnel.
- Increased national revenue by over 500% from US$88M to US$500M+ by driving fair, equitable, and rigorous enforcement of revenue code.
- Improved tax compliance rate by over 200% through development and launch of modernization strategy that involved organizational restructuring, integrity building, investment in human assets
- Established four (4) pillar offices Professional Ethics, Risk Management, Research and Tax Policy and Corporate Affairs
- Introduced Employees Code of Conduct and Tax Payer Bill of Rights
- Increased donor support and collaboration ten-fold by aligning performance to donor expectations and requirements.
- Enhanced professionalism, transparency, accountability, integrity, effectiveness, and efficiency of revenue administration through the conceptualization, development and implementation of operating systems, policies, and procedures.
- Spearheaded the automation of tax and customs administration by initiating and driving the implementation of the Standard Integrated Government Tax Administration System (SIGTAS) and the Automated System for Customs Data (ASYCUDA) which is ongoing.
- Played instrumental role in establishing Republic of Liberia’s National Tax Court and the Board of Tax Appeal as institutional pillars of tax administration in Liberia.
Liberia Bank for Development and Investment; Monrovia, Liberia July 1996–August 2006
Chief Financial Officer
Promoted through six progressively responsible roles to position on executive leadership team
Appointed by Board of Directors to direct all financial and administrative management functions, encompassing treasury, accounts, reconciliation, procurement, portfolio administration and management information systems. Led budget preparation for Board approval, executed and managed annual budget.
- Grew balance sheet size by instituting and ensuring adherence to strong governance controls, strengthened customer confidence, grew deposits, and employed effective liquidity management which was fundamental in ensuring the survival of the Bank amidst the failure of many other banks during the war years.
- Drove modernization of standard operating procedures for procurement, general services, reconciliation, treasury management, accounts, management information systems, and portfolio administration.
- Ensured sustainable bank operations, while more than ten other commercial banks failed and closed, as a cogent member of the prudential governance success team that engineered bank’s survival.
- Paid shareholder dividends twice due to operational optimization and significant profitability improvements.
- Expanded bank product offerings by playing a core role in introducing Western Union, SWIFT money transfer
- Delivered improvements in controls and efficiency by establishing reconciliation and management information sections, asset management system, as well as automating financial management reporting.
- Ensured external audit each year.
Additional Experience with Liberia Bank for Development and Investment:
Assistant Comptroller – Portfolio Administration Section
Senior Loan Officer | Loan Officer | Accounts Officer | Apprentice | Cadet
Morgan State University; Baltimore, MD, USA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
Cuttington University College; Gbarnga, Liberia
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BBA)
College of West Africa; Monrovia, Liberia
High School Diploma
Training Seminars and Workshops:
Banking and Finance | Portfolio Management | Public Finance | Strategic Planning
Tax Administration | Customs Administration | Change Management | Managing for Success Budgeting | Forecasting